Tuesday 5 July 2011

Productivity and Positivity

I love making lists. Groceries, things to do, things to buy, movies I want to watch, anything really. This, however, concerns ‘To-Do’ lists.

The best way to make a to-do list, oddly enough, is to make it really long. As long as possible, actually. Confused? Let me explain. Take one job you have to do, and split it up into as many small jobs as you can think of. Then, as you do each mini-job, mark it as done or check it off. 

DO NOT ERASE IT! 

This way you can see how much you’ve already done, instead of just how much you have left to do.

I’ll use house work as an example- this is a bad list.

  • Clean house


Bad! You have one huge job to do. This is a MASSIVE de-motivator. Just looking at one huge job like this makes me want to sit on my butt in front of the TV and zone out the mess.

This is a slightly better list.

  • Clean bedroom
  • Clean kitchen
  • Clean bathrooms
  • Clean living area


See? Even though it’s the same amount of work, you have a longer list and thus more items to check off. Going by room isn’t a bad way to go, either. But we can do better, get really detailed. I’ll just use a few rooms as an example.

  • Wash dishes
  •  Put away dishes
  • Wipe down benches
  • Sweep floor
  • Take out rubbish
  • Organise pantry
  • Wash clothes
  • Put clothes in dryer
  • Fold clothes
  • Put clothes away
  • Iron



Now that’s hardly two rooms’ worth, but its super long already. My lists, honestly, get ridiculous and you might think I'm silly for turning one job into ten. Or twenty. Or more. But with each 2-10 minute job, you get to cross another item off the list, keeping you motivated!

Stay happy!

Love, 

Me.

xo

2 comments: