Friday 8 July 2011

Weekend Reading

Stone Soup

This would have to be one of my favourite food blogs of all time.


Where do I even start?


Jules (the author) creates meals using five ingredients or fewer, with a maximum cooking time of ten minutes. Which is great for me, since I'm lazy and poor (horrible combination). The difference between her recipes and most "under X ingredients" is that she focuses on nutritious whole foods instead of packets and pre-made ingredients. 


She also posts wonderful, thought provoking posts such as should you be buying organic and great tips like $5 dinners: 7 unusual tips for reducing your food costs, not to mention she runs a virtual cookery school and sells her own line of ebooks! I don't know how she does it.


She definitely inspires you to think outside the box. Every now and then, an ingredient I haven't used before (or don't like- I'm looking at you, brussel sprouts) will pop up in a recipe and, despite that, the accompanying photos alone are enough to make me want to shovel those disgusting little shriveled cabbages into my face. True story.


The posts and recipes are so well organised, with archives and searching easy enough for my grandmother to use, and every recipe and post is like a breath of fresh air in an otherwise distinctly unoriginal world.


Jules responds to almost every single comment (!!!) with tips and graciousness. She is a fantastic blog host, a wonderful writer and, most importantly, an inspiring teacher. I thoroughly recommend you waste hours reading the whole thing from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment